May Hariri Aboutaam

The Journey


 In my work, I often return to symbolic elements. For this project the pomegranate is a vessel of memory, rupture, and resilience. These forms are not merely aesthetic; they carry with them a weight of history and ancestral presence. The pomegranate, with its clustered seeds and bursting skin, becomes a metaphor for fragmentation, for lives dispersed through displacement, and for the silent accumulation of trauma under violence and oppression.

​Through painting, poetic text, and installation, I weave together personal and collective narratives. Each image or object—whether a seed, a thread, a dress, or a wound—is part of a larger act of witnessing. I am interested in how beauty and devastation coexist. How the intimate can echo the political, and how the symbolic can offer resistance where language fails.

​My work does not seek resolution. Instead, it holds space for mourning, for testimony, and for asking: Who is seen? Who is silenced? What is buried, and what insists on returning?

​In this way, I give voice to a landscape that bleeds quietly, and to bodies that refuse to disappear

​

Comments

Popular Posts